What is a Building Owner?

Definition of a Building Owner
An owner who wishes to undertake building works which involves exercising rights provided by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

Planning a Building Project?

Are you intending to carry out any of the following typical works? If so, you will need to serve a Party Wall Notice upon your neighbour before commencing works.

  • An extension, whether that be to the rear, side or into the loft.
  • Conversion of a basement, garage or loft.
  • Underpinning.
  • Alterations, demolition or repairs to a wall, ceiling or floor shared with another property.
  • Roofing works, including to the chimney.
  • Building a free standing wall, or a wall of a building, up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property.
  • Excavating and casting foundations within 3 or 6 metres of an adjoining building owned by someone else.

Building Owners FAQ

Yes you can. However, any errors or omissions contained in the Notice can render it invalid which would require you to serve a further Notice with the potential of delaying your building project. At PWS ESSEX we provide a Party Wall Notice drafting service. From just £49.00, we will draft the required Notice(s) to ensure your project is not delayed due to any invalid Party Wall Notice. We are happy to discuss your requirement and provide clear pricing for you, Contact us today to discuss what notices your project may require. You may wish to use our FREE Notice Templates See our Fees page for more information
The failure or avoidance of serving a Notice can lead to expensive delays and legal costs if the Adjoining Owners seek to stop the Building Owners work. The Adjoining Owners can apply for a Court Injunction against the Building Owners or their Builder to stop unauthorised works. The Adjoining Owners can even apply for a Mandatory (pulling down) Injunction against works wholly or partly completed.
If after serving the valid Party Wall Notices your neighbours does agree(consents) in writing, then yes you can proceed with your planned works, You still of course have a duty that any works carried out are correctly executed and any damage caused would be a matter for common law, but your neighbour could also change their mind and therefore trigger the Act and require an Award to be drawn up.
Yes it does if it falls into the specifics as details in the Party Wall Act etc 1996, as Party Wall are "jointly Owned" any interference or works that could compromise the Party Wall has to have both sides agreeing to any works that are to take place.
This depends on how many factors are involved and how many adjoining owners. We can Act as your Surveyor, and liaise with your neighbours Surveyors, or we can under the Act become an Agreed Surveyor where you and your neighbours agree that we can carry out the Award. We have to act impartial when creating the Award and we listen to both sides to find compromise . A chat with us will lay out what may be involved and the costs too
No, it can save you a lot of trouble, time and expense if things are not put in place correctly from the outset. You wish to proceed with your works as quickly as possible with as little interference to or from any neighbour. A Party wall Award, will ensure all is in place to allow smooth progression, But getting the correct notices service initially is an important step in this process